I have lived most of my life in South India, and grown to love Dosa! So when I moved to Bangkok for work, I could cook Sambar, Dal Tadka, and Chicken Curries but I missed Chutney. One key ingredient which I need was dry Coconut which I could not find easily at nearby Super Market. I tried to use coconut milk and fresh coconut it did not taste the same. So I started making Dal Chutney, which I loved. So here are the Ingredient and Steps to make Dal Chutney.
- Main :
- 5 tsp of Roasted Chana Dal
- 2 tsp grated coconut (Optional)
- 2 Green Chillis
- Half inch of Ginger
- 4-5 tsp of Water
- 1/2 tsp of Oil
- 1 tps Mustard Seeds
- 3 dried Chillis
- 4 Curry Leaves
- Step 1:
- Boil the Soaked Chickpea (Chole) with Baking Soda and Tea Bag.
- Baking Soda would help Chickpea Soak more water and Cook thoroughly.
- Tea Bag would give Brownish Color and help neutralize Baking Soda.
- Can add One Chopped Potato if you like.
- Step 2:
- Mix all the ingredients of Masala – Chola Masala/Garam Masala, Cumin, Coriander, Chili and Turmeric Powder, Ginger Garlic Paste
- Add the mix to Boiled Chickpea (Chole)
- Mix them all well.
- Heat Ghee and add to the mix.
- Step 3:
- Head Oil and Onion, Head them till it is brown.
- Once Onion is brown, Add Tomato Puree and Yogurt to the mix.
- Cook them well.
- Add Chickpea (Chole) Mix to this.
- Cook it for 10 minutes.
- Can Add Water if you want to make it like Curry. (This is optional)
Jagdeep Singh Virdi